2G: Raja’s Pvt Secy said not to take application after Unitech
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja’s then private secretary R K Chandolia had given instructions to to the DoT to stop receiving applications for grant of 2G spectrum licences after Unitech Group submits it, a key prosecution witness today told a Delhi Court.
A K Srivastava, a former Deputy Director General (AS) of the Department of Telecom, said he had opposed the idea given by Chandolia to him on September 24, 2007 about not receiving applications for Unified Access Service Licences (UASL) after
Unitech Group submits it on that day itself.
Srivastava stated this before Special CBI Judge O P Saini when he was cross examined by Chandolia’s counsel Vijay Aggarwal who asked, “I put it to you that when R K Chandolia allegedly told you to stop receipt of UASL applications, you opposed the idea saying that it is unfair?”
Srivastava answered the question saying, “That is correct, but I was asked by R K Chandolia to do so. It is wrong to suggest that I am repeatedly shifting my position.” He said that he had not told the CBI about this till March 15 last year as there was “no discussion” on this point till then.
Srivastava’s testimony assumes significance as the CBI, in its charge sheet, had said that in pursuance of a conspiracy to favour telecom firms, Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd and Swan Telecom, Raja had decided to accept applications filed with DoT till September 25, 2007 only.
During his cross examination, Srivastava denied that he is “deposing falsely” in the court to implicate Chandolia as he was under CBI’s pressure to testify against the accused due to a “likely” disproportionate assets case against him.