ATS takes over Mumbai serial blasts probe
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) on Thursday registered three cases in connection with the serial bombings that left several people dead and more than 100 injured.
“ATS has taken over the probe. Close to 12 joint teams of ATS and Crime Branch have been formed and we are being closely assisted by Central agencies. This case is being taken up on priority,” ATS chief Rakesh Maria told reporters in Mumbai.
Assuring people that no effort would be spared to bring the perpetrators of the latest terror strike to justice, he said, “We request the public to have faith and trust in the police. So far no (terror) case has gone undetected and the persons responsible for the blasts will be brought to book. We will get you the accused.”
The maximum casualty in Wednesday evening’s terror attack was witnessed at Opera House where 10 people were killed. Seven persons died at the explosion at Zaveri Bazaar, the police officer said.
The third blast took place in Dadar.
“Samples have been taken from the blast sites. Forensic experts are sifting through the debris for more evidence. It is too early to say anything regarding the kind of explosives used,” he said, adding all angles will be probed.
The ATS chief requested people not to indulge in rumour mongering. “Even this morning there were rumours about six unexploded bombs being found in the city. We request people not to believe in such rumours and assist the administration in maintaining peace.”