New Delhi: Second phase of voting in UP is scheduled to take place on Monday (February 14, 2022). Votes will be cast in 55 Assembly seats in nine districts. Voting will begin at 7AM and end at 6PM.
The 55 seats are spread across Saharanpur, Bijnor, Moradabad, Sambhal, Rampur, Amroha, Badaun, Bareilly and Shahjahanpur and there are 586 candidates in the fray in this phase with as many as five Ministers.
Out of 584 candidates contesting in the upcoming Uttar Pradesh assembly polls in phase 2, about 147 candidates (25 per cent) have criminal cases registered against themselves according to the Association for Democratic Reforms.
The election watchdog Association for Democratic Reforms further stated that- 108 candidates have studied upto class VIII & 12 have declared themselves illiterate. 102 candidates have Post Graduation degree while 6 are Ph.D.
Many heavy weights will be contesting elections in phase-II. Key candidates being- – – Uttar Pradesh Finance Minister Suresh Khanna from Shahjahanpur,
– Jal Shakti state minister Baldev Singh Aulakh from Bilaspur constituency.
– SP’s Dharam Singh Saini from Nakud,
– BJP’s Mahesh Chandra Gupta from Badaun,
– BJP’s Gulab Devi from Chandausi.
– Supriya Aron, former mayor of Bareilly, will be contesting from Bareilly Cantonment from the Samajwadi Party.
Notably, SP has once again fielded Azam Khan from Rampur, who is lodged in Sitapur jail since February 2020, over several cases registered against him.
– Apna Dal (Sonelal) has fielded former Congress party member Haider Ali Khan from Suar.