Being pregnant is exciting and also includes a lot of changes in you and your lifestyle. Although staying healthy while pregnant is important to you, your thoughts are always around what you must do to ensure that your baby is healthy.
As the pregnancy progresses, your needs change too. Here are some important things that you must be cautious about throughout pregnancy:
- Wear comfortable footwear and watch your step to avoid a fall
- Wear seat belts while driving and ensure that you sit far away from the air bag
- Avoid taking medicines without consulting your obstetrician
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. Passive smoking is also harmful
- Avoid caffeine and products with artificial colours
- Avoid dehydration by drinking lots of water
- Rest your feet to prevent fatigue. Your legs and ankles are prone to swelling. During the day, ensure that you put up your feet at a raised level frequently
- Get adequate sleep and take naps, if required. A minimum of eight hours of sleep is required to keep you healthy
What Can I Do During Pregnancy for a Healthy Baby?
Maintain a healthy and nutritious diet because food provides you energy and what you eat is also one of the building blocks of your baby’s body. Eat more fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, grains, eggs and dairy products.
Take prenatal multivitamin supplements to ensure that you and the baby are receiving all the required nutrients. The neural cord of the baby, which develops into the brain and spinal cord, requires vital nutrients like folic acid, calcium, and iron from the early days of pregnancy.